Preserve Lenox Mountain » Archive
February 9th, 2012 | Add a Comment
Russia’s main gas-company, Gazprom, was unable to meet demand last weekend as blizzards swept across Europe, and over three hundred people died. Did anyone even think of deploying our wind turbines to make good the energy shortfall from Russia? Of course not. We all know that windmills are a self-indulgent and sanctimonious luxury whose purpose is to make us feel good. Had Europe genuinely depended on green energy on Friday, by Sunday thousands would be dead from frostbite and exposure, and the EU would have suffered an economic body blow to match that of Japan’s tsunami a year ago. From a neighbor in Vinalhaven Somewhere East of Falmouth Neil Weston? Neil Anderson? Huh? And to the North… But everything’s okay in the UK?!? Well maybe not everyone … Read entire article »
Filed under: Headline
This site archives the PLM group's successful struggle to preserve the watershed of Lenox Mountain from industrialization. Many people helped in this fight and remain vigilant. This site will be maintained and occasionally updated as need arises. Thanks to all of you who donated your time, energy, and smarts!
Who we are.
We are people from the Berkshires who have come together out of an informed belief that siting industrial-scale wind turbines on our ridges is a not a wise choice.
We support alternative sources of energy that have real benefits for our communities.
We believe in energy efficiency and conservation.
We believe in being smart about being green.
To learn about the impacts of industrial scale wind turbines and to share what we learn with others.
To insure that our neighbors and political leaders have access to objective, unbiased information about the effects that industrial wind turbines on the ridges of the Berkshire mountains will have on our communities.
To promote the conservation of energy and the choice of smart alternative energy technologies.
To protect the health of our citizens, the beauty of our environment and the future of the Berkshires.
WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP?
- Remain vigilant. Educate your friends, neighbors, and family. Support other efforts to help Berkshire County and Massachusetts pursue rational energy policy. Please stay tuned.
PLM is on Facebook
Sign up to receive important updates
NEW TO THIS? NEED FACTS? START HERE!
The Top Ten False and Misleading Claims the Windpower Industry makes for Projects in the Eastern United States
- 1. Industrial wind developers are interested only in providing a public service.
- 2. Windplants do not harm wildlife.
- 3. Windplants will reduce the mining/burning of fossil fuels and lessen dependence on foreign oil.
- 4. Windplants are highly efficient and provide power for significant
numbers of homes.
- 5. Locals who oppose the wind industry are NIMBYS.
- 6. Windplants will generate significant local revenue and increase property values.
- 7. The wind industry will create many local jobs.
- 8. Wind technology is noiseless and creates few disturbances.
- 9. Wind technology consists of "windmills" on "wind farms."
- 10. Those who are concerned about windpower are not true environmentalists.
Their primary purpose is to take advantage of extraordinary income sheltering opportunities... More...
Despite industry insistence this won't happen, it already has... More...
The wind industry in the East will not put much of a dent in our reliance on fossil fuels. More...
Wind technology is relatively feckless. More...
One of the most persistent hypocrisies from corporate wind... More...
...two recently constructed windplants... have contributed virtually nothing to the local tax base. More...
This is a cruel untruth, especially in economically depressed areas... More...
Large wind turbines... create profound noise reverberations extending out... More...
The reality is that they are mammoth industrial factories... More...
The facts demonstrate otherwise. Notable environmentalists who have studied... More...
- Technology: How an industrial wind turbine works
- Output: Introduction to units and terms and how much electricity wind turbines actually produce
- Economics: Costs, subsidies, taxes, property values, jobs
- Size: Height, weight, supporting infrastructure, space requirements
- The Grid: The electrical supply system and wind's place in it
- Wildlife: Threats to birds, bats, and other animals
- Noise: Ill effects on nearby residents
- Costs vs. Benefits: Do the potential benefits outweight the adverse impacts?
- Also see the NWW introductory fact sheet [22-KB PDF]
- The Facts Regarding the Town of Lenox Turbine Proposal for Lenox Mountain — Trifold Brochure
Get your PLM Gear
WINDTOONS and MORE
Lenox Wind Energy Research Panel Final Report
- The panel's report says the town should abandon a wind energy proposal. After four months of study, the majority of the Panel recommends the Lenox Wind Turbine proposal be abandoned because it won't be a financial benefit to Lenox, does raise health concerns and will have numerous negative environmental impacts.
- Click here to read it.
Energize Vermont — Which path?
Life with Dekalb Turbines — Noise and Flicker
Wind Turbine Sound: An Independent Investigation
Dr. Nissenbaum Interviewed
Bird Kills and Hypocrisy
Big Wind Subsidies
Are the wind turbines making people sick?
Effects of Wind Turbines on Falmouth
WINDTURBINE SYNDROME VICTIMS
Mad World of Wind Turbines
Wind Turbine Explodes
Windfarm Illness: Waubra Disease
Test of Time
Dr. Robert McMurtry MD — The Four Pillars
Welcome to Mars Hill
Ill Wind in Europe
The Voices of Tug Hill
Life Under a Windmill, Meyersville, PA
Windfall Movie Trailer
The Latest from Green Berkshires
- This farm family in northern Vermont has been fighting a wind turbine project fo... - April 15, 2014
This farm family in northern Vermont has been fighting a wind turbine project for more than a decade, first when it was proposed and then after it was [...]
- Finally, Massachusetts is helping the town of Falmouth which erected two wind tu... - March 27, 2014
Finally, Massachusetts is helping the town of Falmouth which erected two wind turbines under the guidance of the states renewable energy agencies and [...]
- An Associated Press investigation last year revealed that the Obama administrati... - March 27, 2014
An Associated Press investigation last year revealed that the Obama administration was not prosecuting wind energy companies for killing eagles and ot [...]
Ontario Wind Resistance
- Destructive behavior concerns OPP
[Editors note: Before everyone jumps to the conclusion that it MUST have been an anti- wind protestor who did this, take a moment to remember other [...]
- Managing energy rage
Peter Epp, Chatham Daily News There hasnt been this much angst about energy costs in Ontario for quite some time. Natural gas prices are rising, hydro [...]
- Thousands protest Pylons & Wind Turbines in Ireland
Wind Farm Realities
- Infrasound from Wolfe - February 26, 2014
Several months ago I splurged for an infrasound detector, with the intention to establish a baseline in several homes on Amherst Island before the win [...]
- Stressed Geese - February 18, 2014
Several days ago Ontario Wind Resistance posted a study from Poland on the effects of raising geese close to a wind turbine. Their posting included [...]
- Frontline - February 6, 2014
I dont watch much TV, but recently while on vacation (in Hawaii!!!) I finished my latest read (Conn Igguldens Conqueror, which I recommend along with [...]
The Latest From WindAction
- Judge strikes down part of Minnesota energy law
A federal judge ruled Friday that part of a Minnesota law designed to promote the use of renewable energy is unconstitutional because it attempts to c [...]
- Bluewater Wind Farm creates divide in community
Construction of the Bluewater Wind Farm is threatening to tear a community, and even a family, apart. Scott Miller explains. [...]
- China wind turbine makers face consolidation as glut lingers
“Even as the current wind power market rebounds slowly, industry competition is still very intense” so that manufacturing companies don’t have s [...]
The Latest from Wind Wise Massachusetts
- Moratorium in Kingston; Limits in Kingston & Shelburne - April 16, 2014
- Is ILFN the Smoking Gun? - April 10, 2014
- MassDEP Considers New Noise Regs - March 20, 2014
- Stephen Ambrose Presents: Wind Turbine Harm - March 10, 2014
- Mapping Fairhaven Noise Complaints - February 22, 2014
The Latest From Interstate Informed Citizens Coalition
- IICC Response to MPSC Draft - October 14, 2013
- Cost of CO2 Reduction - October 1, 2013
- Continued Problems With Consumers Energy Lake Winds Project - August 31, 2013
MasterResource — Windpower
- AWEA Spins Price Distortions to Save PTC (hit on nuclear clouds CO2 rationale)
- LEEDCo Lake Erie Wind Project: Joint Letter of Protest
- LEEDCo Wind Project’s Mega-Opposition (Junking Lake Erie at Taxpayers’ Expense)
- “Killing Wildlife In the Name of Climate Change” (Part I: The Double Standard)
- Curtailed Hydro from Wanapum Dam Crack: An ‘Unpredicted Change in the Wind’?
© 2014 Preserve Lenox Mountain