Preserve Lenox Mountain » Archive
February 9th, 2012 | Add a Comment
Russia’s main gas-company, Gazprom, was unable to meet demand last weekend as blizzards swept across Europe, and over three hundred people died. Did anyone even think of deploying our wind turbines to make good the energy shortfall from Russia? Of course not. We all know that windmills are a self-indulgent and sanctimonious luxury whose purpose is to make us feel good. Had Europe genuinely depended on green energy on Friday, by Sunday thousands would be dead from frostbite and exposure, and the EU would have suffered an economic body blow to match that of Japan’s tsunami a year ago. From a neighbor in Vinalhaven Somewhere East of Falmouth Neil Weston? Neil Anderson? Huh? And to the North… But everything’s okay in the UK?!? Well maybe not everyone … Read entire article »
Filed under: Headline
This site archives the PLM group's successful struggle to preserve the watershed of Lenox Mountain from industrialization. Many people helped in this fight and remain vigilant. This site will be maintained and occasionally updated as need arises. Thanks to all of you who donated your time, energy, and smarts!
Who we are.
We are people from the Berkshires who have come together out of an informed belief that siting industrial-scale wind turbines on our ridges is a not a wise choice.
We support alternative sources of energy that have real benefits for our communities.
We believe in energy efficiency and conservation.
We believe in being smart about being green.
To learn about the impacts of industrial scale wind turbines and to share what we learn with others.
To insure that our neighbors and political leaders have access to objective, unbiased information about the effects that industrial wind turbines on the ridges of the Berkshire mountains will have on our communities.
To promote the conservation of energy and the choice of smart alternative energy technologies.
To protect the health of our citizens, the beauty of our environment and the future of the Berkshires.
WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP?
- Remain vigilant. Educate your friends, neighbors, and family. Support other efforts to help Berkshire County and Massachusetts pursue rational energy policy. Please stay tuned.
PLM is on Facebook
Sign up to receive important updates
NEW TO THIS? NEED FACTS? START HERE!
The Top Ten False and Misleading Claims the Windpower Industry makes for Projects in the Eastern United States
- 1. Industrial wind developers are interested only in providing a public service.
- 2. Windplants do not harm wildlife.
- 3. Windplants will reduce the mining/burning of fossil fuels and lessen dependence on foreign oil.
- 4. Windplants are highly efficient and provide power for significant
numbers of homes.
- 5. Locals who oppose the wind industry are NIMBYS.
- 6. Windplants will generate significant local revenue and increase property values.
- 7. The wind industry will create many local jobs.
- 8. Wind technology is noiseless and creates few disturbances.
- 9. Wind technology consists of "windmills" on "wind farms."
- 10. Those who are concerned about windpower are not true environmentalists.
Their primary purpose is to take advantage of extraordinary income sheltering opportunities... More...
Despite industry insistence this won't happen, it already has... More...
The wind industry in the East will not put much of a dent in our reliance on fossil fuels. More...
Wind technology is relatively feckless. More...
One of the most persistent hypocrisies from corporate wind... More...
...two recently constructed windplants... have contributed virtually nothing to the local tax base. More...
This is a cruel untruth, especially in economically depressed areas... More...
Large wind turbines... create profound noise reverberations extending out... More...
The reality is that they are mammoth industrial factories... More...
The facts demonstrate otherwise. Notable environmentalists who have studied... More...
- Technology: How an industrial wind turbine works
- Output: Introduction to units and terms and how much electricity wind turbines actually produce
- Economics: Costs, subsidies, taxes, property values, jobs
- Size: Height, weight, supporting infrastructure, space requirements
- The Grid: The electrical supply system and wind's place in it
- Wildlife: Threats to birds, bats, and other animals
- Noise: Ill effects on nearby residents
- Costs vs. Benefits: Do the potential benefits outweight the adverse impacts?
- Also see the NWW introductory fact sheet [22-KB PDF]
- The Facts Regarding the Town of Lenox Turbine Proposal for Lenox Mountain — Trifold Brochure
Get your PLM Gear
WINDTOONS and MORE
Lenox Wind Energy Research Panel Final Report
- The panel's report says the town should abandon a wind energy proposal. After four months of study, the majority of the Panel recommends the Lenox Wind Turbine proposal be abandoned because it won't be a financial benefit to Lenox, does raise health concerns and will have numerous negative environmental impacts.
- Click here to read it.
Energize Vermont — Which path?
Life with Dekalb Turbines — Noise and Flicker
Wind Turbine Sound: An Independent Investigation
Dr. Nissenbaum Interviewed
Bird Kills and Hypocrisy
Big Wind Subsidies
Are the wind turbines making people sick?
Effects of Wind Turbines on Falmouth
WINDTURBINE SYNDROME VICTIMS
Mad World of Wind Turbines
Wind Turbine Explodes
Windfarm Illness: Waubra Disease
Test of Time
Dr. Robert McMurtry MD — The Four Pillars
Welcome to Mars Hill
Ill Wind in Europe
The Voices of Tug Hill
Life Under a Windmill, Meyersville, PA
Windfall Movie Trailer
The Latest from Green Berkshires
- Now there is a push in the legislature to remove limits on one of the most lucra... - March 13, 2014
Now there is a push in the legislature to remove limits on one of the most lucrative solar subsidies funded by Massachusetts electricity ratepayers. S [...]
- As taxpayers, Lenox residents may collectively save $17,750 annually over the ne... - March 13, 2014
As taxpayers, Lenox residents may collectively save $17,750 annually over the next 20 years for the first phase of a solar project in their town (alth [...]
- It sounds like wind-turbine neighbors in Scituate may be contemplating legal act... - March 13, 2014
It sounds like wind-turbine neighbors in Scituate may be contemplating legal action to force appropriate testing of noise from the wind turbine there. [...]
Ontario Wind Resistance
- Buddhists vs. Ontario Liberals on Wind Turbines
Sun News [...]
- Hydro One bill for $233,692 prompts call for CEO to resign
Toronto Star, Richard J. Brennan The Progressive Conservatives are calling for Hydro One president and CEO Carmine Marcello to resign immediately over [...]
- First McLean’s wind turbine spins this week
Manitoulin Expositor, by Alicia McCutcheon MCLEAN’S MOUNTAIN—Islanders will see some of the 24 wind turbines atop McLean’s Mountain begin to tur [...]
Wind Farm Realities
- Infrasound from Wolfe - February 26, 2014
Several months ago I splurged for an infrasound detector, with the intention to establish a baseline in several homes on Amherst Island before the win [...]
- Stressed Geese - February 18, 2014
Several days ago Ontario Wind Resistance posted a study from Poland on the effects of raising geese close to a wind turbine. Their posting included [...]
- Frontline - February 6, 2014
I dont watch much TV, but recently while on vacation (in Hawaii!!!) I finished my latest read (Conn Igguldens Conqueror, which I recommend along with [...]
The Latest From WindAction
- Court rules against Maine DEP for failing to enforce of wind turbine noise standards: Vinalhaven
After three years of litigation, a Maine Superior Court decision has finally found in favor of wind turbine neighbors complaining about excessive nois [...]
- Oklahoma Senate passes moratorium on wind farms in eastern Oklahoma
Senators voted 32-8 to pass Senate Bill 1440, which would halt wind developments east of Interstate 35 until 2017 in areas that have poor wind resourc [...]
- State regulators may deep-six proposed offshore wind farm
The state Board of Public Utilities is expected next Wednesday to vote on a proposal by Fishermen’s Energy, LLC to build a 25-megawatt wind farm abo [...]
The Latest from Wind Wise Massachusetts
- Stephen Ambrose Presents: Wind Turbine Harm - March 10, 2014
- Mapping Fairhaven Noise Complaints - February 22, 2014
- Home Values Not Responsive to Statistical Analysis - February 13, 2014
- “Gale of Opinion” Unleashed in DPU Hearing - February 8, 2014
- Gloucester Hearing on DPU Initiative - January 31, 2014
The Latest From Interstate Informed Citizens Coalition
- IICC Response to MPSC Draft - October 14, 2013
- Cost of CO2 Reduction - October 1, 2013
- Continued Problems With Consumers Energy Lake Winds Project - August 31, 2013
MasterResource — Windpower
- AOTA (‘All of the Above’) Energy Policy: A Political Argument for the Uneconomic, Cronyism
- Rep. Camp’s Bold Move: End of the Wind PTC (and other energy subsidies too)
- Wind Turbine Bird Killings, Disinformation Continue in California (Golden eagles, bald eagles, and more)
- Where Wind Studies Go Wrong: Cullen in AEJ (Part II)
- Where Wind Studies Go Wrong: Cullen in AEJ (Part I)
© 2014 Preserve Lenox Mountain