Preserve Lenox Mountain » Archive
February 15th, 2012 | Add a Comment
By Andrew Gilligan 8:00AM BST 12 Sep 2010 To green campaigners, it is windfarm heaven, generating a claimed fifth of its power from wind and praised by British ministers as the model to follow. But amid a growing public backlash, Denmark, the world’s most windfarm-intensive country, is turning against the turbines. Last month, unnoticed in the UK, Denmark’s giant state-owned power company, Dong Energy, announced that it would abandon future onshore wind farms in the country. “Every time we were building onshore, the public reacts in a negative way and we had a lot of criticism from neighbours,” said a spokesman for the company. “Now we are putting all our efforts into … Read entire article »
Filed under: Headline
February 15th, 2012 | Add a Comment
Although you will find yourself sometimes disagreeing with some of the authors and viewpoints on MasterResource, we always enjoy the excellent writing and intriguing ideas. We’ve copied two recent posts below. Please visit MasterResource to find more and to join in the discussion… Wind Power Panic: AWEA’s Last Stand (death spiral looms for taxpayer-dependent industry) by Lisa Linowes February 13, 2012 If you haven’t heard from the American Wind Energy Association (AWEA), you probably will. Ominous, scary ads are running nationwide warning of the crushing blow to American jobs if Congress fails to extend the Production Tax Credit (‘PTC’), the 20-year ‘temporary’ subsidy most credited for market growth in the wind sector. The PTC is due to expire at the end of this year. Most of the ads target particular House members who, so far, have … Read entire article »
Filed under: Headline
This site archives the PLM group's successful struggle to preserve the watershed of Lenox Mountain from industrialization. Many people helped in this fight and remain vigilant. This site will be maintained and occasionally updated as need arises. Thanks to all of you who donated your time, energy, and smarts!
Who we are.
We are people from the Berkshires who have come together out of an informed belief that siting industrial-scale wind turbines on our ridges is a not a wise choice.
We support alternative sources of energy that have real benefits for our communities.
We believe in energy efficiency and conservation.
We believe in being smart about being green.
To learn about the impacts of industrial scale wind turbines and to share what we learn with others.
To insure that our neighbors and political leaders have access to objective, unbiased information about the effects that industrial wind turbines on the ridges of the Berkshire mountains will have on our communities.
To promote the conservation of energy and the choice of smart alternative energy technologies.
To protect the health of our citizens, the beauty of our environment and the future of the Berkshires.
WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP?
- Remain vigilant. Educate your friends, neighbors, and family. Support other efforts to help Berkshire County and Massachusetts pursue rational energy policy. Please stay tuned.
PLM is on Facebook
Sign up to receive important updates
NEW TO THIS? NEED FACTS? START HERE!
The Top Ten False and Misleading Claims the Windpower Industry makes for Projects in the Eastern United States
- 1. Industrial wind developers are interested only in providing a public service.
- 2. Windplants do not harm wildlife.
- 3. Windplants will reduce the mining/burning of fossil fuels and lessen dependence on foreign oil.
- 4. Windplants are highly efficient and provide power for significant
numbers of homes.
- 5. Locals who oppose the wind industry are NIMBYS.
- 6. Windplants will generate significant local revenue and increase property values.
- 7. The wind industry will create many local jobs.
- 8. Wind technology is noiseless and creates few disturbances.
- 9. Wind technology consists of "windmills" on "wind farms."
- 10. Those who are concerned about windpower are not true environmentalists.
Their primary purpose is to take advantage of extraordinary income sheltering opportunities... More...
Despite industry insistence this won't happen, it already has... More...
The wind industry in the East will not put much of a dent in our reliance on fossil fuels. More...
Wind technology is relatively feckless. More...
One of the most persistent hypocrisies from corporate wind... More...
...two recently constructed windplants... have contributed virtually nothing to the local tax base. More...
This is a cruel untruth, especially in economically depressed areas... More...
Large wind turbines... create profound noise reverberations extending out... More...
The reality is that they are mammoth industrial factories... More...
The facts demonstrate otherwise. Notable environmentalists who have studied... More...
- Technology: How an industrial wind turbine works
- Output: Introduction to units and terms and how much electricity wind turbines actually produce
- Economics: Costs, subsidies, taxes, property values, jobs
- Size: Height, weight, supporting infrastructure, space requirements
- The Grid: The electrical supply system and wind's place in it
- Wildlife: Threats to birds, bats, and other animals
- Noise: Ill effects on nearby residents
- Costs vs. Benefits: Do the potential benefits outweight the adverse impacts?
- Also see the NWW introductory fact sheet [22-KB PDF]
- The Facts Regarding the Town of Lenox Turbine Proposal for Lenox Mountain — Trifold Brochure
Get your PLM Gear
WINDTOONS and MORE
Error fetching Flickr photos: A feed could not be found at http://api.flickr.com/services/rest/?method=flickr.photos.search&lang=en-us&format=feed-rss_200&api_key=9807edad05bd1986860fd2698181fc33&user_id=67674767@N06&sort=date-taken-asc&tags=toons&per_page=50
Lenox Wind Energy Research Panel Final Report
- The panel's report says the town should abandon a wind energy proposal. After four months of study, the majority of the Panel recommends the Lenox Wind Turbine proposal be abandoned because it won't be a financial benefit to Lenox, does raise health concerns and will have numerous negative environmental impacts.
- Click here to read it.
Energize Vermont — Which path?
Life with Dekalb Turbines — Noise and Flicker
Wind Turbine Sound: An Independent Investigation
Dr. Nissenbaum Interviewed
Bird Kills and Hypocrisy
Big Wind Subsidies
Are the wind turbines making people sick?
Effects of Wind Turbines on Falmouth
WINDTURBINE SYNDROME VICTIMS
Mad World of Wind Turbines
Wind Turbine Explodes
Windfarm Illness: Waubra Disease
Test of Time
Dr. Robert McMurtry MD — The Four Pillars
Welcome to Mars Hill
Ill Wind in Europe
The Voices of Tug Hill
Life Under a Windmill, Meyersville, PA
Windfall Movie Trailer
The Latest from Green BerkshiresError message: Atypical RSS/Atom feed or not supported by this plugin.
Ontario Wind Resistance
- Enercon wind turbine collapses in Nova Scotia
But dont worry, its an isolated incident. Or a thats-not-supposed-ta-happen incident. And strangely I can cant find one single photo of this collapsed [...]
- Tiny the Turbine helps fight back the wind industry propaganda allowed into our schools
Tiny the Turbine is a moral tale that tells the truth about the impacts of industrial wind development in a way children can understand. It has been w [...]
- Pilot killed hitting wind turbine test tower while spraying crops
Keloland Television Near Ruthton, MN A crop-spraying job ended in tragedy amid wind turbine country in southwest Minnesota. The plane nose-dived into [...]
Wind Farm Realities
- Update on Shirley - June 9, 2016
Ive mentioned the Shirley wind project in an earlier posting, and it has been in the news again. There have been a lot of complaints from the neighb [...]
- Update on Electric Prices - November 12, 2015
Its been a while since Ive updated my Ohio vs Ontario electric price charts. I own properties in both and I have my electric bills starting in 2000. [...]
- Vyn and Property Values - December 9, 2014
In January 2014 Dr. Richard Vyn, a professor at Guelph University in Ontario, published a study concluding that wind turbines have no significant effe [...]
The Latest From WindAction
- Energy company explains plans, but many residents skeptical
About 12 people picketed outside with signs reading “2 Tall, 2 Many, 2 Close,” among others. Sally Kain of Meade Township was one of them ...“H [...]
- The casualty toll of green energy
The danger wind turbines pose to birds is well known. Less appreciated is that hundreds of thousands of bats are also dying. [...]
- Wind Power: Are we losing the Vermont we know and love?
We've done our research. We've learned that wind energy does not reduce carbon emissions. Those claims are false. Wind energy projects destr [...]
The Latest from Wind Wise Massachusetts
- Commenters to DEP-Here’s what protective regulations look like - June 11, 2016
- Commenters to DEP–Citizen Input Excluded - May 28, 2016
- Commenters to DEP–RSG Study Unfinished - May 23, 2016
- Commenters to DEP–protect residents from noise pollution - May 22, 2016
- New Regs or Policies? Weigh in on Noise! - March 30, 2016
The Latest From Interstate Informed Citizens Coalition
MasterResource — Windpower
© 2016 Preserve Lenox Mountain