Preserve Lenox Mountain » Archive
February 15th, 2012 | Add a Comment
By Andrew Gilligan 8:00AM BST 12 Sep 2010 To green campaigners, it is windfarm heaven, generating a claimed fifth of its power from wind and praised by British ministers as the model to follow. But amid a growing public backlash, Denmark, the world’s most windfarm-intensive country, is turning against the turbines. Last month, unnoticed in the UK, Denmark’s giant state-owned power company, Dong Energy, announced that it would abandon future onshore wind farms in the country. “Every time we were building onshore, the public reacts in a negative way and we had a lot of criticism from neighbours,” said a spokesman for the company. “Now we are putting all our efforts into … Read entire article »
Filed under: Headline
February 15th, 2012 | Add a Comment
Although you will find yourself sometimes disagreeing with some of the authors and viewpoints on MasterResource, we always enjoy the excellent writing and intriguing ideas. We’ve copied two recent posts below. Please visit MasterResource to find more and to join in the discussion… Wind Power Panic: AWEA’s Last Stand (death spiral looms for taxpayer-dependent industry) by Lisa Linowes February 13, 2012 If you haven’t heard from the American Wind Energy Association (AWEA), you probably will. Ominous, scary ads are running nationwide warning of the crushing blow to American jobs if Congress fails to extend the Production Tax Credit (‘PTC’), the 20-year ‘temporary’ subsidy most credited for market growth in the wind sector. The PTC is due to expire at the end of this year. Most of the ads target particular House members who, so far, have … Read entire article »
Filed under: Headline
This site archives the PLM group's successful struggle to preserve the watershed of Lenox Mountain from industrialization. Many people helped in this fight and remain vigilant. This site will be maintained and occasionally updated as need arises. Thanks to all of you who donated your time, energy, and smarts!
Who we are.
We are people from the Berkshires who have come together out of an informed belief that siting industrial-scale wind turbines on our ridges is a not a wise choice.
We support alternative sources of energy that have real benefits for our communities.
We believe in energy efficiency and conservation.
We believe in being smart about being green.
To learn about the impacts of industrial scale wind turbines and to share what we learn with others.
To insure that our neighbors and political leaders have access to objective, unbiased information about the effects that industrial wind turbines on the ridges of the Berkshire mountains will have on our communities.
To promote the conservation of energy and the choice of smart alternative energy technologies.
To protect the health of our citizens, the beauty of our environment and the future of the Berkshires.
WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP?
- Remain vigilant. Educate your friends, neighbors, and family. Support other efforts to help Berkshire County and Massachusetts pursue rational energy policy. Please stay tuned.
Sign up to receive important updates
NEW TO THIS? NEED FACTS? START HERE!
The Top Ten False and Misleading Claims the Windpower Industry makes for Projects in the Eastern United States
- 1. Industrial wind developers are interested only in providing a public service.
- 2. Windplants do not harm wildlife.
- 3. Windplants will reduce the mining/burning of fossil fuels and lessen dependence on foreign oil.
- 4. Windplants are highly efficient and provide power for significant
numbers of homes.
- 5. Locals who oppose the wind industry are NIMBYS.
- 6. Windplants will generate significant local revenue and increase property values.
- 7. The wind industry will create many local jobs.
- 8. Wind technology is noiseless and creates few disturbances.
- 9. Wind technology consists of "windmills" on "wind farms."
- 10. Those who are concerned about windpower are not true environmentalists.
Their primary purpose is to take advantage of extraordinary income sheltering opportunities... More...
Despite industry insistence this won't happen, it already has... More...
The wind industry in the East will not put much of a dent in our reliance on fossil fuels. More...
Wind technology is relatively feckless. More...
One of the most persistent hypocrisies from corporate wind... More...
...two recently constructed windplants... have contributed virtually nothing to the local tax base. More...
This is a cruel untruth, especially in economically depressed areas... More...
Large wind turbines... create profound noise reverberations extending out... More...
The reality is that they are mammoth industrial factories... More...
The facts demonstrate otherwise. Notable environmentalists who have studied... More...
- Technology: How an industrial wind turbine works
- Output: Introduction to units and terms and how much electricity wind turbines actually produce
- Economics: Costs, subsidies, taxes, property values, jobs
- Size: Height, weight, supporting infrastructure, space requirements
- The Grid: The electrical supply system and wind's place in it
- Wildlife: Threats to birds, bats, and other animals
- Noise: Ill effects on nearby residents
- Costs vs. Benefits: Do the potential benefits outweight the adverse impacts?
- Also see the NWW introductory fact sheet [22-KB PDF]
- The Facts Regarding the Town of Lenox Turbine Proposal for Lenox Mountain — Trifold Brochure
PLM is on Facebook
Get your PLM Gear
WINDTOONS and MORE
Lenox Wind Energy Research Panel Final Report
- The panel's report says the town should abandon a wind energy proposal. After four months of study, the majority of the Panel recommends the Lenox Wind Turbine proposal be abandoned because it won't be a financial benefit to Lenox, does raise health concerns and will have numerous negative environmental impacts.
- Click here to read it.
Energize Vermont — Which path?
Life with Dekalb Turbines — Noise and Flicker
Wind Turbine Sound: An Independent Investigation
Dr. Nissenbaum Interviewed
Bird Kills and Hypocrisy
Big Wind Subsidies
Are the wind turbines making people sick?
Effects of Wind Turbines on Falmouth
WINDTURBINE SYNDROME VICTIMS
Mad World of Wind Turbines
Wind Turbine Explodes
Windfarm Illness: Waubra Disease
Test of Time
Dr. Robert McMurtry MD — The Four Pillars
Welcome to Mars Hill
Ill Wind in Europe
The Voices of Tug Hill
Life Under a Windmill, Meyersville, PA
Windfall Movie Trailer
The Latest from Green Berkshires
- Just as the Massachusetts legislature is about to consider for the fifth year in... - November 26, 2013
Just as the Massachusetts legislature is about to consider for the fifth year in a row the governors effort to strip towns of their right to deny wind [...]
- The judge in the nuisance suit filed by neighbors to the two town-owned wind tur... - November 26, 2013
The judge in the nuisance suit filed by neighbors to the two town-owned wind turbines in Falmouth wrote a Solomonic decision in support of his grant o [...]
- A new type of national forest is being considered for the Berkshires which invol... - November 26, 2013
A new type of national forest is being considered for the Berkshires which involves a partnership between the U.S. Forest Service and landowners inter [...]
Ontario Wind Resistance
- MOE to landowners with wind leases: “Do your own due dilligence”
Ms. Garcia- Wright, Mr. Chiarelli, Mr. Bradley and Ms. Mathews, For many months, I have been pursuing the question of health for children whose parent [...]
- Liberals’ energy plan is dead in the long run
Martin Regg Cohn, Guelph Mercury Ontario has a new long-term energy plan. The problem with long-term outlooks is that, in the words of economist John [...]
- Petition: Dismantle the Green Energy Act
Canadian Taxpayers Federation Dear Premier, Ontario families are struggling to pay their energy bills, while the provincial government doubles down on [...]
Wind Farm Realities
- Waterloo and Nissenbaum - October 27, 2013
Several years ago the Province of Ontario, under significant pressure, gave some money to the University of Waterloo to study the health impacts of wi [...]
- Cullerin and Chapman - September 8, 2013
Cullerin The Cullerin wind project is located in NSW, Australia, about 60 km NE of Canberra and 200 km SW of Sydney. At first glance it isnt particu [...]
- Too Close? - September 7, 2013
When people are talking about too close and wind turbines, normally they mean the neighbors have the misfortune to live too close to the turbines. [...]
The Latest from Wind Wise Massachusetts
The Latest From Interstate Informed Citizens Coalition
- IICC Response to MPSC Draft - October 14, 2013
- Cost of CO2 Reduction - October 1, 2013
- Continued Problems With Consumers Energy Lake Winds Project - August 31, 2013
The Latest From WindAction
- GWIG calls for investigation after tip is blown of Corkermore wind turbine
The Glenties Windfarm Information Group is calling on the County Council to investigate after part of a Wind Turbine blade was blown off a turbine at [...]
- Power struggle: Green energy versus a grid that's not ready
Some utility officials warn, however, that the only guarantee is that ratepayers will be spending a lot. The commission's goals, while laudable, [...]
- Another win for turbine abutters
Building Commissioner Eladio Gore determined they [the turbines] were not a nuisance, so Funfar appealed that decision to the ZBA. Thursday night, the [...]
MasterResource — Windpower
- Bird Kills: The Evidence and Publicity Mounts (Sierra Club, Audubon must stop deceiving memberships)
- ‘Energy Imbalancing Market’: Bailing Out California Green Power Two Hours/Day
- Stagnating U.S. Wind (government addiction creates bubble symptoms)
- The New Renewables Narrative: Buyer Beware
- A Conservative, Biblical Case for Windpower? (a red-state, Tea Party strategy at work)
© 2013 Preserve Lenox Mountain