Preserve Lenox Mountain » Archive
February 29th, 2012 | Add a Comment
From the PLM gang!! The Lenox Select Board voted tonight against pursuing wind on Lenox Mountain. The vote was unanimous with four votes since Dia T. was not there… They will now look at how to protect the mountain permanently. Jo Anne agreed to be part of that committee! Congratulations to everyone. Great work!!! -Eleanor What a great group of passionate, smart and committed people. Thanks to all who worked tirelessly and SUCKED THE WIND OUT Of LENOX!!!! -Lauren Lenox did NOT PASS WIND! – Thanks so much to everyone who worked so very hard for this victory for the people of Richmond, Lenox, Stockbridge, and all of Berkshire County and especially for the mountain, the forest, and all its creatures. -Harley Bravo to all of you!!! … Read entire article »
February 29th, 2012 | Add a Comment
The Lenox Board of Selectman meet tonight and will vote to accept or reject the proposal for two 430 foot tall wind turbines on the ridge of Lenox Mountain. 7pm. Lenox Town Hall. Please be there to witness the vote. Dead on arrival. That’s the likely fate of the long-debated municipal wind turbine proposal following an informational forum attended by nearly 100 Lenox and Richmond residents. -Clarence Fanto And from the Beacon (click to enlarge): Last night’s Lee DEP/DPH Smackdown Ken Kimmel and Alicia McDevitt both squirmed in their seats from time to time as they heard time and time again about the shortcomings of the report they commissioned to push forward Deval Patrick’s goal of 2000MW of Wind Energy by 2020. Ken Kimmel and other DEP folks tried to spin their position last night and … Read entire article »
This site archives the PLM group's successful struggle to preserve the watershed of Lenox Mountain from industrialization. Many people helped in this fight and remain vigilant. This site will be maintained and occasionally updated as need arises. Thanks to all of you who donated your time, energy, and smarts!
Who we are.
We are people from the Berkshires who have come together out of an informed belief that siting industrial-scale wind turbines on our ridges is a not a wise choice.
We support alternative sources of energy that have real benefits for our communities.
We believe in energy efficiency and conservation.
We believe in being smart about being green.
To learn about the impacts of industrial scale wind turbines and to share what we learn with others.
To insure that our neighbors and political leaders have access to objective, unbiased information about the effects that industrial wind turbines on the ridges of the Berkshire mountains will have on our communities.
To promote the conservation of energy and the choice of smart alternative energy technologies.
To protect the health of our citizens, the beauty of our environment and the future of the Berkshires.
WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP?
- Remain vigilant. Educate your friends, neighbors, and family. Support other efforts to help Berkshire County and Massachusetts pursue rational energy policy. Please stay tuned.
PLM is on Facebook
Sign up to receive important updates
NEW TO THIS? NEED FACTS? START HERE!
The Top Ten False and Misleading Claims the Windpower Industry makes for Projects in the Eastern United States
- 1. Industrial wind developers are interested only in providing a public service.
- 2. Windplants do not harm wildlife.
- 3. Windplants will reduce the mining/burning of fossil fuels and lessen dependence on foreign oil.
- 4. Windplants are highly efficient and provide power for significant
numbers of homes.
- 5. Locals who oppose the wind industry are NIMBYS.
- 6. Windplants will generate significant local revenue and increase property values.
- 7. The wind industry will create many local jobs.
- 8. Wind technology is noiseless and creates few disturbances.
- 9. Wind technology consists of "windmills" on "wind farms."
- 10. Those who are concerned about windpower are not true environmentalists.
Their primary purpose is to take advantage of extraordinary income sheltering opportunities... More...
Despite industry insistence this won't happen, it already has... More...
The wind industry in the East will not put much of a dent in our reliance on fossil fuels. More...
Wind technology is relatively feckless. More...
One of the most persistent hypocrisies from corporate wind... More...
...two recently constructed windplants... have contributed virtually nothing to the local tax base. More...
This is a cruel untruth, especially in economically depressed areas... More...
Large wind turbines... create profound noise reverberations extending out... More...
The reality is that they are mammoth industrial factories... More...
The facts demonstrate otherwise. Notable environmentalists who have studied... More...
- Technology: How an industrial wind turbine works
- Output: Introduction to units and terms and how much electricity wind turbines actually produce
- Economics: Costs, subsidies, taxes, property values, jobs
- Size: Height, weight, supporting infrastructure, space requirements
- The Grid: The electrical supply system and wind's place in it
- Wildlife: Threats to birds, bats, and other animals
- Noise: Ill effects on nearby residents
- Costs vs. Benefits: Do the potential benefits outweight the adverse impacts?
- Also see the NWW introductory fact sheet [22-KB PDF]
- The Facts Regarding the Town of Lenox Turbine Proposal for Lenox Mountain — Trifold Brochure
Get your PLM Gear
WINDTOONS and MORE
Error fetching Flickr photos: A feed could not be found at http://api.flickr.com/services/rest/?method=flickr.photos.search&lang=en-us&format=feed-rss_200&api_key=9807edad05bd1986860fd2698181fc33&user_id=67674767@N06&sort=date-taken-asc&tags=toons&per_page=50
Lenox Wind Energy Research Panel Final Report
- The panel's report says the town should abandon a wind energy proposal. After four months of study, the majority of the Panel recommends the Lenox Wind Turbine proposal be abandoned because it won't be a financial benefit to Lenox, does raise health concerns and will have numerous negative environmental impacts.
- Click here to read it.
Energize Vermont — Which path?
Life with Dekalb Turbines — Noise and Flicker
Wind Turbine Sound: An Independent Investigation
Dr. Nissenbaum Interviewed
Bird Kills and Hypocrisy
Big Wind Subsidies
Are the wind turbines making people sick?
Effects of Wind Turbines on Falmouth
WINDTURBINE SYNDROME VICTIMS
Mad World of Wind Turbines
Wind Turbine Explodes
Windfarm Illness: Waubra Disease
Test of Time
Dr. Robert McMurtry MD — The Four Pillars
Welcome to Mars Hill
Ill Wind in Europe
The Voices of Tug Hill
Life Under a Windmill, Meyersville, PA
Windfall Movie Trailer
The Latest from Green BerkshiresError message: Atypical RSS/Atom feed or not supported by this plugin.
Ontario Wind Resistance
- Four Bald Eagles Killed by Wind Turbines in Ontario
Bald eagles (yes thats plural) have been killed in Ontario by wind turbines, and more will continue to meet this fate for the 20 year lifespan of the [...]
- Wind Turbine Bird & Bat Mortality Reports, with Summary – Ontario, Canada
Below is a summary Maureen kindly assembled from all of the reports retrieved through the FOI. Have a good hard look at the numbers per project. Indiv [...]
- Say NO to Double Standard on Species at Risk Penalties!
In the last few days these three stories came out. Please read them, and then respond to those who are failing to protect these Species at Risk belo [...]
Wind Farm Realities
- Update on Shirley - June 9, 2016
Ive mentioned the Shirley wind project in an earlier posting, and it has been in the news again. There have been a lot of complaints from the neighb [...]
- Update on Electric Prices - November 12, 2015
Its been a while since Ive updated my Ohio vs Ontario electric price charts. I own properties in both and I have my electric bills starting in 2000. [...]
- Vyn and Property Values - December 9, 2014
In January 2014 Dr. Richard Vyn, a professor at Guelph University in Ontario, published a study concluding that wind turbines have no significant effe [...]
The Latest From WindAction
- Zachariah Allen: Sales pitch on turbines rings hollow
The only winners in this whole mess are the investors. No attention has been paid to why the investors might have thought this was a good deal. The an [...]
- Public Service Board penalty for turbine violation called a ‘slap on the wrist’
“The PSB has sent us a clear message that we may as well stop filing complaints when GMCW is in violation,” said Melodie McLane, who issued the co [...]
- The Winds of Green War: Turbines in North Carolina threaten a crucial military radar
Donald Trump has encouraged his cabinet nominees to take the initiative as soon as they’re on the job, and one area ripe for action is reversing the [...]
The Latest from Wind Wise Massachusetts
- Commenters to DEP-Here’s what protective regulations look like - June 11, 2016
- Commenters to DEP–Citizen Input Excluded - May 28, 2016
- Commenters to DEP–RSG Study Unfinished - May 23, 2016
- Commenters to DEP–protect residents from noise pollution - May 22, 2016
- New Regs or Policies? Weigh in on Noise! - March 30, 2016
The Latest From Interstate Informed Citizens Coalition
MasterResource — Windpower
© 2017 Preserve Lenox Mountain