Preserve Lenox Mountain » Archive
April 22nd, 2012 | Add a Comment
Today on Wind Wise Radio: Saving Massachusetts from IWT — Louise Barteau, Ann DeNardis, Viriginia Irvine, Andrew Wells — Sun. April 22 7pm ET We will be talking with leaders in the efforts to save Massachusetts from the onslaught of the Patrick administration and the wind developers who are attempting to put their political ambitions and their greed ahead of the interests of the citizens of Massachusetts Louise Barteau is an environmental artist living and working in Fairhaven, MA. Her studio is located approximately 1200′ from Fairhaven’s two 400′ Industrial Wind Turbines which were installed this winter and are about to be turned on this month. A reluctant activist, she was drawn into a troubling tale of covert actions between the developers, Fairhaven Wind, and the town government that began years ago when the … Read entire article »
Filed under: Headline
This site archives the PLM group's successful struggle to preserve the watershed of Lenox Mountain from industrialization. Many people helped in this fight and remain vigilant. This site will be maintained and occasionally updated as need arises. Thanks to all of you who donated your time, energy, and smarts!
Who we are.
We are people from the Berkshires who have come together out of an informed belief that siting industrial-scale wind turbines on our ridges is a not a wise choice.
We support alternative sources of energy that have real benefits for our communities.
We believe in energy efficiency and conservation.
We believe in being smart about being green.
To learn about the impacts of industrial scale wind turbines and to share what we learn with others.
To insure that our neighbors and political leaders have access to objective, unbiased information about the effects that industrial wind turbines on the ridges of the Berkshire mountains will have on our communities.
To promote the conservation of energy and the choice of smart alternative energy technologies.
To protect the health of our citizens, the beauty of our environment and the future of the Berkshires.
WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP?
- Remain vigilant. Educate your friends, neighbors, and family. Support other efforts to help Berkshire County and Massachusetts pursue rational energy policy. Please stay tuned.
PLM is on Facebook
Sign up to receive important updates
NEW TO THIS? NEED FACTS? START HERE!
The Top Ten False and Misleading Claims the Windpower Industry makes for Projects in the Eastern United States
- 1. Industrial wind developers are interested only in providing a public service.
- 2. Windplants do not harm wildlife.
- 3. Windplants will reduce the mining/burning of fossil fuels and lessen dependence on foreign oil.
- 4. Windplants are highly efficient and provide power for significant
numbers of homes.
- 5. Locals who oppose the wind industry are NIMBYS.
- 6. Windplants will generate significant local revenue and increase property values.
- 7. The wind industry will create many local jobs.
- 8. Wind technology is noiseless and creates few disturbances.
- 9. Wind technology consists of "windmills" on "wind farms."
- 10. Those who are concerned about windpower are not true environmentalists.
Their primary purpose is to take advantage of extraordinary income sheltering opportunities... More...
Despite industry insistence this won't happen, it already has... More...
The wind industry in the East will not put much of a dent in our reliance on fossil fuels. More...
Wind technology is relatively feckless. More...
One of the most persistent hypocrisies from corporate wind... More...
...two recently constructed windplants... have contributed virtually nothing to the local tax base. More...
This is a cruel untruth, especially in economically depressed areas... More...
Large wind turbines... create profound noise reverberations extending out... More...
The reality is that they are mammoth industrial factories... More...
The facts demonstrate otherwise. Notable environmentalists who have studied... More...
- Technology: How an industrial wind turbine works
- Output: Introduction to units and terms and how much electricity wind turbines actually produce
- Economics: Costs, subsidies, taxes, property values, jobs
- Size: Height, weight, supporting infrastructure, space requirements
- The Grid: The electrical supply system and wind's place in it
- Wildlife: Threats to birds, bats, and other animals
- Noise: Ill effects on nearby residents
- Costs vs. Benefits: Do the potential benefits outweight the adverse impacts?
- Also see the NWW introductory fact sheet [22-KB PDF]
- The Facts Regarding the Town of Lenox Turbine Proposal for Lenox Mountain — Trifold Brochure
Get your PLM Gear
WINDTOONS and MORE
Error fetching Flickr photos: A feed could not be found at http://api.flickr.com/services/rest/?method=flickr.photos.search&lang=en-us&format=feed-rss_200&api_key=9807edad05bd1986860fd2698181fc33&user_id=67674767@N06&sort=date-taken-asc&tags=toons&per_page=50
Lenox Wind Energy Research Panel Final Report
- The panel's report says the town should abandon a wind energy proposal. After four months of study, the majority of the Panel recommends the Lenox Wind Turbine proposal be abandoned because it won't be a financial benefit to Lenox, does raise health concerns and will have numerous negative environmental impacts.
- Click here to read it.
Energize Vermont — Which path?
Life with Dekalb Turbines — Noise and Flicker
Wind Turbine Sound: An Independent Investigation
Dr. Nissenbaum Interviewed
Bird Kills and Hypocrisy
Big Wind Subsidies
Are the wind turbines making people sick?
Effects of Wind Turbines on Falmouth
WINDTURBINE SYNDROME VICTIMS
Mad World of Wind Turbines
Wind Turbine Explodes
Windfarm Illness: Waubra Disease
Test of Time
Dr. Robert McMurtry MD — The Four Pillars
Welcome to Mars Hill
Ill Wind in Europe
The Voices of Tug Hill
Life Under a Windmill, Meyersville, PA
Windfall Movie Trailer
The Latest from Green Berkshires
- This amazing time-lapse simulation from NASA shows how carbon emissions swirl ar... - November 18, 2014
This amazing time-lapse simulation from NASA shows how carbon emissions swirl around the globe, and it also shows the extent to which forests and ocea [...]
- An estimated 90% of Northeast bats have been wiped out in recent years, mainly a... - November 17, 2014
An estimated 90% of Northeast bats have been wiped out in recent years, mainly as the result of a rapidly spreading fungus known as white-nose syndrom [...]
- The Berkshire Eagle editorial board says of our proposal to the town of Lenox th... - November 17, 2014
The Berkshire Eagle editorial board says of our proposal to the town of Lenox that it has "genuine merit." Our Opinion: Welcome vote on pipe [...]
Ontario Wind Resistance
- Report avoids wind turbine health woes
by Keith Stelling, Owen Sound Sun Times Health Canada Wind Turbine Noise “Statistics” Avoid Real Health Problems Tim Matheson (Nov. 11, 2014) tell [...]
- P-W mayor describes Suncor bully tactics: ‘Here, we’re going to hold a gun to your head, again’
Hows this for community consultation? Suncor rep: Once finalized, we will share our construction plans with the community and continue the dialogue w [...]
- Decision from three-judge panel in landmark wind turbine appeal expected before January
By Jonathan Sher, The London Free Press A judicial fight over the future of wind turbines in Ontario wrapped up Thursday with the fate of the province [...]
Wind Farm Realities
- MPAC and Wolfe Island, again - October 28, 2014
INTRO Several months ago Stewart Fast, a new professor at Queens University in Kingston, Ontario, undertook a study of why southern Ontario was such a [...]
- The Rapley Letter - May 31, 2014
Dr Bruce Rapley has been researching the effects of acoustical energy on humans for 15 years and has made first-hand observations of those effects. [...]
- MPAC’s 2012 Study - April 21, 2014
Last week the Ontario Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) released the 2012 version of their continuing study (following one in 2008) of [...]
The Latest From WindAction
- Health Canada Windpower Study: Playing Politics (Grubered up North)
The Canadian government is correct that there is a need to understand ‘the potential health impacts and community concerns that underscore public re [...]
- Judges urged to keep people safe as wind turbine court appeal ends
A judicial fight over the future of wind turbines in Ontario wrapped up Thursday with the fate of the province's green energy law in the hands of [...]
- Nearly half of state’s wind turbines in Huron County
Smith said the level of scrutiny has changed in terms of how long it takes to review wind projects. “It’s not an overnight deal,” he said. “I [...]
The Latest from Wind Wise Massachusetts
- Will Serrated Edges Slice Turbine Noise at the Hoosac? - November 2, 2014
- Wisconsin Health Board Puts Onus on Wind Company - October 16, 2014
- Proposed Plymouth Turbines’ Electricity Destined for NIMBY Neighbors - October 13, 2014
- Scituate’s Turbine Noise Meets Regs–But Only at Reduced Power - August 7, 2014
- More on Noise Report at Monroe Turbine - August 3, 2014
The Latest From Interstate Informed Citizens Coalition
- IICC Response to MPSC Draft - October 14, 2013
- Cost of CO2 Reduction - October 1, 2013
- Continued Problems With Consumers Energy Lake Winds Project - August 31, 2013
MasterResource — Windpower
© 2014 Preserve Lenox Mountain