Preserve Lenox Mountain » Archive
April 22nd, 2012 | Add a Comment
Today on Wind Wise Radio: Saving Massachusetts from IWT — Louise Barteau, Ann DeNardis, Viriginia Irvine, Andrew Wells — Sun. April 22 7pm ET We will be talking with leaders in the efforts to save Massachusetts from the onslaught of the Patrick administration and the wind developers who are attempting to put their political ambitions and their greed ahead of the interests of the citizens of Massachusetts Louise Barteau is an environmental artist living and working in Fairhaven, MA. Her studio is located approximately 1200′ from Fairhaven’s two 400′ Industrial Wind Turbines which were installed this winter and are about to be turned on this month. A reluctant activist, she was drawn into a troubling tale of covert actions between the developers, Fairhaven Wind, and the town government that began years ago when the … Read entire article »
Filed under: Headline
This site archives the PLM group's successful struggle to preserve the watershed of Lenox Mountain from industrialization. Many people helped in this fight and remain vigilant. This site will be maintained and occasionally updated as need arises. Thanks to all of you who donated your time, energy, and smarts!
Who we are.
We are people from the Berkshires who have come together out of an informed belief that siting industrial-scale wind turbines on our ridges is a not a wise choice.
We support alternative sources of energy that have real benefits for our communities.
We believe in energy efficiency and conservation.
We believe in being smart about being green.
To learn about the impacts of industrial scale wind turbines and to share what we learn with others.
To insure that our neighbors and political leaders have access to objective, unbiased information about the effects that industrial wind turbines on the ridges of the Berkshire mountains will have on our communities.
To promote the conservation of energy and the choice of smart alternative energy technologies.
To protect the health of our citizens, the beauty of our environment and the future of the Berkshires.
WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP?
- Remain vigilant. Educate your friends, neighbors, and family. Support other efforts to help Berkshire County and Massachusetts pursue rational energy policy. Please stay tuned.
PLM is on Facebook
Sign up to receive important updates
NEW TO THIS? NEED FACTS? START HERE!
The Top Ten False and Misleading Claims the Windpower Industry makes for Projects in the Eastern United States
- 1. Industrial wind developers are interested only in providing a public service.
- 2. Windplants do not harm wildlife.
- 3. Windplants will reduce the mining/burning of fossil fuels and lessen dependence on foreign oil.
- 4. Windplants are highly efficient and provide power for significant
numbers of homes.
- 5. Locals who oppose the wind industry are NIMBYS.
- 6. Windplants will generate significant local revenue and increase property values.
- 7. The wind industry will create many local jobs.
- 8. Wind technology is noiseless and creates few disturbances.
- 9. Wind technology consists of "windmills" on "wind farms."
- 10. Those who are concerned about windpower are not true environmentalists.
Their primary purpose is to take advantage of extraordinary income sheltering opportunities... More...
Despite industry insistence this won't happen, it already has... More...
The wind industry in the East will not put much of a dent in our reliance on fossil fuels. More...
Wind technology is relatively feckless. More...
One of the most persistent hypocrisies from corporate wind... More...
...two recently constructed windplants... have contributed virtually nothing to the local tax base. More...
This is a cruel untruth, especially in economically depressed areas... More...
Large wind turbines... create profound noise reverberations extending out... More...
The reality is that they are mammoth industrial factories... More...
The facts demonstrate otherwise. Notable environmentalists who have studied... More...
- Technology: How an industrial wind turbine works
- Output: Introduction to units and terms and how much electricity wind turbines actually produce
- Economics: Costs, subsidies, taxes, property values, jobs
- Size: Height, weight, supporting infrastructure, space requirements
- The Grid: The electrical supply system and wind's place in it
- Wildlife: Threats to birds, bats, and other animals
- Noise: Ill effects on nearby residents
- Costs vs. Benefits: Do the potential benefits outweight the adverse impacts?
- Also see the NWW introductory fact sheet [22-KB PDF]
- The Facts Regarding the Town of Lenox Turbine Proposal for Lenox Mountain — Trifold Brochure
Get your PLM Gear
WINDTOONS and MORE
Lenox Wind Energy Research Panel Final Report
- The panel's report says the town should abandon a wind energy proposal. After four months of study, the majority of the Panel recommends the Lenox Wind Turbine proposal be abandoned because it won't be a financial benefit to Lenox, does raise health concerns and will have numerous negative environmental impacts.
- Click here to read it.
Energize Vermont — Which path?
Life with Dekalb Turbines — Noise and Flicker
Wind Turbine Sound: An Independent Investigation
Dr. Nissenbaum Interviewed
Bird Kills and Hypocrisy
Big Wind Subsidies
Are the wind turbines making people sick?
Effects of Wind Turbines on Falmouth
WINDTURBINE SYNDROME VICTIMS
Mad World of Wind Turbines
Wind Turbine Explodes
Windfarm Illness: Waubra Disease
Test of Time
Dr. Robert McMurtry MD — The Four Pillars
Welcome to Mars Hill
Ill Wind in Europe
The Voices of Tug Hill
Life Under a Windmill, Meyersville, PA
Windfall Movie Trailer
The Latest from Green Berkshires
- - February 24, 2014
Questions persist over Peru wind turbine proposal, but plans going forward www.berkshireeagle.comPERU -- Plans for a wind farm are moving forward, de [...]
- People in Worthington dont want to see wind turbines in Peru, either. - February 24, 2014
People in Worthington dont want to see wind turbines in Peru, either. Letter: Turbine proposal threatens region www.berkshireeagle.comTo the editor of [...]
- An expert on risk assessment and mitigation explains the reasons that the propos... - February 20, 2014
An expert on risk assessment and mitigation explains the reasons that the proposed Peru wind project is too risky. Its an interesting letter that shou [...]
Ontario Wind Resistance
- Wynne’s message to Rural Ontario at the Farm Show yesterday
- Red Tailed Hawk killed by Haldimand county turbines
Canadian Raptor Conservancy Facebook Very graphic (apologies) but MUST be seen. This is a wild adult Red Tailed Hawk from Haldimand County Ontario tha [...]
- Amherst Island group files lawsuit
The Whig, by Elliot Ferguson AMHERST ISLAND The group opposed to a wind energy development on Amherst Island is going to court to challenge a recent g [...]
Wind Farm Realities
- Infrasound from Wolfe - February 26, 2014
Several months ago I splurged for an infrasound detector, with the intention to establish a baseline in several homes on Amherst Island before the win [...]
- Stressed Geese - February 18, 2014
Several days ago Ontario Wind Resistance posted a study from Poland on the effects of raising geese close to a wind turbine. Their posting included [...]
- Frontline - February 6, 2014
I dont watch much TV, but recently while on vacation (in Hawaii!!!) I finished my latest read (Conn Igguldens Conqueror, which I recommend along with [...]
The Latest From WindAction
- Tension and suspicion between wind farm host towns and neighbors
The troubles surrounding the Groton Wind Farm all started in the front yard of a retired Boston Police officer named Mario Rampino. The Operations and [...]
- Tensions between British government parties over energy policy blamed for wind deal collapse
A change in EU policy which has scaled back mandatory renewable energy targets from 2020 has also changed the emphasis from wind energy. “Energy is [...]
- Amherst Island group files lawsuit
In an application filed Thursday with the Superior Court of Justice in Toronto, the Association to Protect Amherst Island (APAI) asked for a judicial [...]
The Latest from Wind Wise Massachusetts
- Mapping Fairhaven Noise Complaints - February 22, 2014
- Home Values Not Responsive to Statistical Analysis - February 13, 2014
- “Gale of Opinion” Unleashed in DPU Hearing - February 8, 2014
- Gloucester Hearing on DPU Initiative - January 31, 2014
- Compelling Testimony at Pittsfield Mass.DPU Hearing - January 28, 2014
The Latest From Interstate Informed Citizens Coalition
- IICC Response to MPSC Draft - October 14, 2013
- Cost of CO2 Reduction - October 1, 2013
- Continued Problems With Consumers Energy Lake Winds Project - August 31, 2013
MasterResource — Windpower
- AOTA (‘All of the Above’) Energy Policy: A Political Argument for the Uneconomic, Cronyism
- Rep. Camp’s Bold Move: End of the Wind PTC (and other energy subsidies too)
- Wind Turbine Bird Killings, Disinformation Continue in California (Golden eagles, bald eagles, and more)
- Where Wind Studies Go Wrong: Cullen in AEJ (Part II)
- Where Wind Studies Go Wrong: Cullen in AEJ (Part I)
© 2014 Preserve Lenox Mountain